Thursday, January 19, 2017

Tiburon, S.C. Photograph



This project was the sixth Photoshop project I worked on. In my English class, we were assigned our Independent Reading Project (or IRP) for the quarter. An IRP is where a student does a project on a book of their choice they read. For my IRP, I chose to read The Secret Life of Bees. For my project, I chose to re-create three different important objects in the book in Photoshop.

Warning - Spoilers For The Secret Life of Bees Ahead!



These three things used to belong to the main character Lily’s mother, and now Lily keeps them as a reminder of her. There’s a pair of gloves her mother used to own, a picture of her mother sitting on top of a car, and a photo of the African-American Mary cut out from a book and stuck to a piece of wood. The picture on the wood is especially important because on the back of the wood someone had written “Tiburon, South Carolina”. When Lily decides to run away from home, that is where she chooses to go.

I used six different photos to create this. The first one is the wood background, the second is the white pair of gloves, and the third image is the old photograph of the woman on the car. The fourth is the frame around the old photograph, the fifth one is the Christian Mary holding the baby, and the sixth and final image is the piece of wood behind the Christian Mary.

I created this image by first editing the white gloves. I removed the parts of the image that I did not want, then I positioned the gloves where I wanted them and added a gradient over it to act as a shadow. Next, I made the image of Mary on the piece of wood. I removed the parts of each image that I didn't want, then I added a black-and-white filter over the image of Mary. I also brightened the piece of wood, and placed each picture where I wanted them, with the Mary image over the wood. Finally, I created the image of the woman sitting on the car hood. Again, I removed the parts of the picture that I didn't want, then placed the picture frame over the photograph. I brightened the total project just a little bit, and then ta-da! I was finished.


Thanks for checking out my post! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment